We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
The former Tory Deputy Prime Minister hit out at Brexit as he claimed the European Union was created to stop any future wars. He noted that he “cannot believe” the UK is going through with Brexit. Sky News presenter Kay Burley asked: “Democratically the people of the UK decided that they wanted to leave the EU, are you suggesting it’s still not too late to change their minds?”
Speaking to Sky News, Lord Heseltine said: “Brexit will be a disaster for Britian. But it is too late now to actually stop the process.”
He added: “I must say that personally having watched this whole issue evolve from the second world war when we celebrated the anniversary just the other day.
“I couldn’t help think that Britain who played such an incredible role in those wars was the country that broke the political solution, the European Union, which was put in place to stop all that happening again.
“I cannot believe it is my country that has done this.”
Furious Twitter users erupted at Lord Heseltine for his comments.
One wrote: “It’s absolute rubbish by Lord Heseltine to somehow suggest that the EU prevents World War 3 from happening.”
Another added: “Lord Heseltine ignores the fact that it has been France and Germany that have largely been the main protagonists over the centuries.”
A third person said: “Please spare us this unbalanced Heseltine drivel. Giving up national democracy and sovereignty is a price that cannot be paid.”
Talks on a future trading relationship between the UK and European Union post-Brexit continue this week as the clock continues to tick until the end of the transition period.
Lord David Frost is in Brussels for another round of negotiations ahead of a European Council video summit on Thursday which has been touted as a deadline for a draft deal.
The UK formally left the European Union in January, but will continue to follow the bloc’s regulations until the end of the year – just over six weeks away.
If no agreement is in place at the end of December, goods travelling between the two parties will be subject to tariffs set out by the World Trade Organisation.
Brexiteers urged to pressure Boris amid fears of trade deal sell-out [VIDEO]
Should Boris walk out of EU talks this week and trigger no deal? [POLL]
‘Make or break THIS WEEK’ as Boris loses temper with Barnier over fish [LIVE]
The issues which are still to be ironed out are thought to include the ongoing row over fishing rights, how any deal between the two parties would be governed, and the “level playing field” measures aimed at preventing unfair competition on issues including state subsidies.
Speaking ahead of the talks, which follow a similar round in London last week, Lord David Frost said there had been progress in a “positive direction” in recent days.
However, he added the talks may not succeed and reiterated the point made by Boris Johnson that the country must be prepared for a departure with a deal or without.
Deadlines imposed on a future agreement have proven to be soft in the past, with Mr Johnson saying in September: “There needs to be an agreement with our European friends by the time of the European Council on October 15 if it’s going to be in force by the end of the year.
“If we can’t agree by then, then I do not see that there will be a free trade agreement between us, and we should both accept that and move on.”
Source: Read Full Article