Matt Hancock assures AstraZeneca vaccine jab is safe
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Matt Hancock led a coronavirus press briefing from Downing Street on Monday, March 17, as the Government confirmed more than 25 million Britons had received their first dose of the vaccine. But is the Health Secretary one of those 25 million people?
Matt Hancock today confirmed 529,119 vaccinations were given to people on Tuesday, March 16.
He said: “It’s been such a national mission.”
The Health Secretary added: “It’s been the biggest logistical operation since the war. And a huge team effort.”
Mr Hancock described the vaccination effort as the “best project I’ve ever been involved in”.
He added from today all those aged 50 and above are now welcome to book in to have their jab.
Mr Hancock was questioned regarding a new letter published by the NHS warning of a “significant” reduction in vaccine supply.
The letter advises NHS healthcare providers to stop taking appointments in April given these expected delays.
When asked about this Mr Hancocl said over-50s have been invited for jabs and then “we are going to really focus on getting the vaccine those who are really vulnerable”.
He added vaccines supply is always “lumpy” but the UK is on track to offer jabs to everyone in priority groups one to nine by April 15.
Earlier this week, Mr Hancock urged all those invited to receive the vaccine to make sure to take it up.
He said: “We keep the effects of these vaccines under review all the time and we know that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is saving lives in the UK right now.
“So if you get the call, get the jab.”
He added: “The enthusiasm for getting the vaccine is incredibly strong and we’re still seeing that.”
Has Matt Hancock had the Covid vaccine?
As Mr Hancock, 42, is under this age group, it is unlikely he has yet received his coronavirus vaccine.
Speaking from Downing Street, he said he is “eager” to get the jab, but wants to see everyone aged 50 and over and those most vulnerable receive the vaccine first.
According to the JCVI’s priority list, the 40 to 49 age group is due to receive the vaccine after the over-50s, beginning in mid-April according to the Government’s targets.
He said: “Now is not the time to waver, we are on the way to recover, we are on the way out, we are on track.”
Source: Read Full Article