Alex Phillips hits out at 'legacy media' after Keir Starmer heckled
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Labour leader appeared shaken after the mob aggressively heckled him and Shadow Defence Secretary David Lammy in Westminister. Shocking footage showed Sir Keir and Mr Lammy being escorted to safety by Met Police officers – after the crowd falsely accused him of being responsible for not prosecuting paedophile Jimmy Savile.
Responding to fury about the incident – which came shortly after Boris Johnson repeated the false conspiracy theory about Sir Keir in Parliament – Mr Galloway questioned why the opposition leader was walking that route in the first place.
Taking to Twitter, he raged: “There’s a tunnel between Portcullis House and Parliament which I have walked thousands of times.
“No members of the public can access it.
“The leader of the opposition has an official car with police protection.
“Why then did Keir Starmer choose to walk through the mob?”
Former Chief Prosecutor Nazir Afzal slammed the former Labour MP’s comments.
He tweeted: “He was walking along Victoria Embankment, returning to Portcullis House from Ministry of Defence, where he and shadow Foreign Secretary David Lammy had been briefed on Ukraine.
“He was not walking between Portcullis and the House of Commons. Truth Matters, stop spreading conspiracies.”
Nicola Sturgeon’s Indy plan dismantled amid Barnett formula ‘mistake’ [ANALYSIS]
Brexit LIVE: Boris slammed for refusing to ‘back winners’ in UK [REACTION]
Boris Johnson LIVE: PM popularity in free fall as Labour opens up lead [INSIGHT]
Mr Galloway replied: “That’s your job.”
So far Mr Johnson has refused to apologise or retract his remarks, despite widespread calls for him to do so.
He did however condemn the treatment Sir Keir and Mr Lammy received.
He tweeted: “The behaviour directed at the Leader of the Opposition tonight is absolutely disgraceful.
“All forms of harassment of our elected representatives are completely unacceptable. I thank the police for responding swiftly.”
Last week the head of the No10 policy unit Munira Mirza quit after the PM refused to apologise for the slur.
She said “it was wrong” for him to imply the Labour leader was “personally responsible” for not prosecuting the paedophile.
Tory MP Julian Smith, Theresa May’s former chief whip, led calls for the PM to apologise for the slur.
He tweeted: “What happened to Keir Starmer tonight outside parliament is appalling.
“It is really important for our democracy and for his security that the false Savile slurs made against him are withdrawn in full.”
A spokesman for the Met Police said: “Shortly after 5.10pm on Monday, 7 February, a man who had been surrounded by a group of protesters near to New Scotland Yard, was taken away from the scene by a police car.
“A man and a woman were arrested at the scene for assault of an emergency worker after a traffic cone was thrown at a police officer.
“They have been taken into custody.”
Source: Read Full Article