Bloke thought he would die after being beaten to a pulp outside nightclub

These shocking photos show the aftermath of a brutal assault in the streets of Cardiff earlier this week.

Daniel Rees, from Pontypridd, was left lying on the pavement with a fractured eye socket, split eyelid and a suspected broken nose after he and his girlfriend left the Popworld nightclub on Cardiff's St Mary Street in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The 24-year-old mechanic was accompanying his girlfriend Chelsea Pryce at her work Christmas party when he was assaulted in what he says was an unprovoked attack.

Daniel said that he thought he was going to die as punch after punch rained down on his face.

"We left the venue at about 2.30am in the morning but, when we got outside, this bloke just came from nowhere and punched Dan in the face," said Chelsea, a 21-year-old store manager from Caerphilly.

She added she barely had time to scream before the assailant, along with another man, took turns punching and kicking her partner while he was down.

"I could hear him calling my name but I couldn't get to him," Chelsea said.

She added: "And when the police finally came it was Dan they handcuffed and put in the back of the van, despite the fact he was completely covered in blood and clearly badly injured. "

  • Female boxer, 34, arrested on suspicion of beating rich husband, 61, to death

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

"Eventually, though, officers removed the handcuffs and blue-lighted us to the nearby University Hospital of Wales.

"There we had to wait for 14 hours in A&E, during which time Dan told me he thought he was going to die as he was lying there and the blows kept coming.

"Honestly, I'll never get the image of his bloodied, swollen face out of my mind for a long as I live".

She added that Daniel can still barely see properly as a result of his injuries, for which he's awaiting an operation this weekend.

South Wales Police said it is investigating an incident that took place in St Mary Street during the early hours of Tuesday, December 14.

"From initial CCTV enquiries, it appears that two men were assaulted at around 2.30am and one of them was taken to hospital," said a spokesperson.

There have been no charges and enquiries are ongoing.

Source: Read Full Article