CPW warns residents about bear-resistant trash cans after cubs death

MANITOU SPRINGS, Colo. — A bear cub recently died in Manitou Springs after it got into a trash can, was frightened and scurried up a nearby power pole, where it was electrocuted.

It’s just the latest example of how trash attractants are killing black bears, Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s southeast division said. The garbage bins were not bear-resistant.

“Lock your garbage! Be Bear Aware. Keep cubs alive,” it said in a tweet Tuesday morning.

Manitou Springs has a wildlife ordinance that says all trash containers must be secure from wildlife at all times and garbage must be stored in wildlife-resistant containers or in a secure location inaccessible to wildlife.

Read more on Denver7.

Source: Read Full Article