Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter
We have more newsletters
Twitter’s new CEO Elon Musk has said that there are “more smoking guns”, after he released documents suggesting that tweets relating to the Hunter Biden were suppressed.
In the first instalment of what Elon branded the “Twitter Files”, the Tesla founder shared internal emails which implied that staffers had censored tweets about Hunter Biden allegedly receiving money from a Ukrainian energy firm, Burisma.
The story, which appeared first in the New York Post, said that the energy company had used this connection gain access to then-Vice President Joe Biden.
READ MORE: Kanye West suspended on Twitter as he 'violated rule' and makes savage dig at Elon Musk
This was in October 2020, during the last presidential campaign, and an email showed Burisma’s advisor apparently thanking Hunter for inviting them to meet with his father.
Elon believes that the release of the files will make mainstream media more committed to the “truth” and give the app a "clean slate".
During a live Twitter Space Q&A, the CEO told users: "We’re just gonna put all the information out there try to get a clean slate we will be iteratively better and it will force other media companies to also be more truthful or else they’ll lose their readership…”
Whilst former Twitter CEO Jack Doresy acknowledged that the company made mistakes, the decision to suppress tweets and accounts sharing the stories was made due to concerns about possible hacking by Russia.
Tweets that did show the New York Post story either had links removed or had warnings about the content being “unsafe” which was in line with the company’s Hacking Policy at the time.
Elon has said that he believes there are “more smoking guns” at Twitter, although he has yet to disclose with the public when this new information will be released.
The CEO has been working with controversial journalist Matt Taibbi, who accused the social media platform of taking “extraordinary steps to suppress” the scandal.
Whilst Twitter users away further information about the internal files, Elon has also reinstated the account of ring-wing politician Donald Trump.
The former president was previously banned for violating Twitter guidelines, on January 8, shortly after the Capitol riots in Washington Dc.
In a statement, Twitter said the his posts were “highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the US Capitol”.
Facebook, YouTube and Instagram also banned the former president after this.
However, the company was recently bought out by Elon Musk for a staggering $44 billion allowing the return of many controversial figures, including sexist influencer Andrew Tate and Kanye West.
This has seen the company’s revenue fall by $8 billion dollars in recent weeks as advertisers fled the site, including Apple, but CEO Elon remains positive.
During a live Q&A, he told users: “I think we’re starting to see a lot of other advertisers also resume their spending.”
Distraught mothers of fallen Russian soldiers 'rewarded' with cheap and tacky towels
Brit fighters tortured by Russian thugs in Ukraine awarded military honours by Zelensky
Sniggering baggage handlers suspended after footage exposes 'disgraceful' airport antics
Killer driver, 84, hit accelerator instead of brake and pinned mum against shop wall
Mad Vlad more likely to use deadly Novichok on civilians than troops as 'terror weapon'
- Elon Musk
Source: Read Full Article