A family-of-six claim they were left homeless after a neighbour knocked down a 20ft retaining wall, causing a landslide that left their home unsafe to live in.
Reba Chipman-Guest, 47 and husband Fergus, 54, claim they were forced to flee their quaint bungalow after it was deemed a "dangerous structure" by the council.
They claim building work carried out by a neighbour undermined their retaining wall and they watched on in horror as a landslide took away half of their garden.
The family – including four children, a dog and two cats – say they were then forced into emergency temporary accommodation during lockdown.
Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today
They have since been allowed to move back in after a surveyor's inspection on the condition they stay out of certain rooms.
But Reba, a Pilates instructor, and Doula said their ordeal is ongoing.
She said: "The past few months have been a nightmare.
"It all started because our neighbour bought some land next to our property and decided to develop it.
"When work began, the retaining wall next to our new extension was undermined and caused a landslide and half of our garden just fell away.
"I was watching as the wall just collapsed."
Reba said the first collapse occurred on June 11 and the second three days later.
An inspection from Cornwall Council then saw their home listed as a 'dangerous structure.'
The family ended up in temporary accommodation and lived in two different places, Carnon Downs and Falmouth, which was paid out by their own insurance.
Reba has lived in the property in Redruth, Cornwall, for the past seven years and her husband, Fergus, for three years before that.
But neighbours have told them the retaining wall had stood solid for 40 years before the recent building work.
Reba added: "It's soul destroying. We were planning on putting the house on the market in July but that's been halted.
"We're not getting the sense that anyone is trying to help us and at the minute the house is valueless.
"It's really distressing, we have no privacy and no security. We have rights for the place to be our home and right now it isn't at all.
"When we moved out to Carnon Downs we needed two houses so we had two lots of living costs, and all this as we were all being told to stay at home.
"Fergus couldn't work because his tools were in the house, and sorting out the problem with solicitors became a full time job.
"We had no internet connection and none of our records, so in the end we felt it best to move back into the house despite the notice.
"So we got a surveyor to come round and he said it was safe, so long as we stayed out the extension and the conservatory.
"But it's only a two bedroom house so we needed the space, it was very tight with six of us and the dog and cats."
Reba said she estimates that to put the wall back together could cost up to £80,000 – and that until the notice is lifted their £260,000 home is worthless.
Reba estimates that their losses and expenses have already cost them £7,500 – and said that so far they haven't received a penny back from their neighbour.
She added: "This has to come to a close. As if lockdown wasn't bad enough, we've had all this to contend with – something has to be done."
Living in the home at the time was Freya Guest, 17, Obi Guest, 19, Rowhan Guest, 27, and her fiancé – Ben Brittain, 27.
When approached Jason Gartrell, the neighbour in dispute with the family, declined to comment.
Cornwall Council have been approached for comment.
Source: Read Full Article