Gov. Jared Polis asks the public to weigh in on a revived Casa Bonita

A court hearing on the pending sale of Casa Bonita to a group headed by the creators of “South Park” is on schedule for Dec. 1, and Gov. Jared Polis has asked the public on social media to share visions about a retooled restaurant.

Polis on Facebook on Monday said that the public is “excited to see what happens next” at the landmark Lakewood eatery on West Colfax Avenue and he asked, “What do you want to see at Casa Bonita?”

By Tuesday afternoon more than 800 comments were posted on the governor’s query.

“Still diving and hiring of high schoolers in the area,” said Joan Poston, whose comment had 22 likes.

Opened in 1974, the entertainment-themed restaurant seated more than 1,000 customers before its closure in 2020. Strolling Mariachi bands performed along with jugglers and other entertainers. A highlight of a visit was indoor, waterfall cliff diving with daredevils performing an assortment of dives from a 30-foot cliff into a pool of water at the base of a waterfall.

In August, Colorado natives Trey Parker and Matt Stone announced that one of their companies reached an agreement with the restaurant’s owner, Summit Family Restaurants, to pay $3.1 million to make Casa Bonita’s creditors whole and purchase operating assets. Summit had filed for bankruptcy on April 6 in Arizona.

Last week, Save Casa Bonita, a group of local fans of the landmark Lakewood eatery, withdrew its legal objection to the sale of the restaurant in a U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Colorado filing.

“We want it to stay pretty much the same except for a major clean up and better food!! Maybe remodel the bathrooms and the arcade. We hope they don’t change Big Bart’s Cave!” said Sarah Gregory, on Facebook. Her comment had 77 likes.

Subscribe to our new food newsletter, Stuffed, to get Denver food and drink news sent straight to your inbox.

Source: Read Full Article