A horrific crash that saw a Russian warplane slam into a nine-story apartment block has left 13 people dead, including three children.
Rescuers have since uncovered the bodies of more than a dozen people, including the three children, from the rubble of a block of flats exploded by a Russian plane.
The Su-34 fighter bomber smashed into a building in the Russian city of Yeysk shortly after take-off, which created a massive fireball, in what is being described as a military accident.
READ MORE: Man who 'saved the world' refused to approve Russian nuclear strike against America
A huge fire and black plumes of smoke could be seen after the impact, which has so far left 13 confirmed dead.
Alexei Kuznetsov, an aide to the Russian health minister, has since confirmed that a total of 19 people suffered injuries at the scene of the crash.
Roughly 250 people have since been evacuated from the scene as rescue operations are underway, with teams uncovering 13 people sadly killed in the crash.
Among the 250 people evacuated were 40 children, authorities have said, as they continue to clear out the area following the "training flight" crash.
Russian state-owned news agency RIA said the crash had occurred during a training flight from a military field nearby, with the pilots ejecting shortly before the crash.
Brits face 'emergency energy blackouts' as temperatures plummet in grim winter forecast
The pilots are said to have taken note of the plane's engine fire on take-off and subsequently ejected, with the plane's fuel igniting on impact with the building, The Mirror reported.
A statement from Russia's defence ministry read: "On October 17, 2022, a Su-34 aircraft crashed upon a climb during its training flight from a military airfield in the Southern Military District. The plane crashed within the city limits of Yeysk.
"The plane’s fuel caught fire after the Su-34 crashed into the courtyard of a residential building."
Despite claims the plane was loaded with munitions at the time of the crash, this has been denied by the Russian government, with Krasnador regional governor Veniamin Kondratyev saying if that "had been the case, then only half the building would be here".
An investigation helmed by the Investigative Committee has been opened, with Vladimir Putin said to be preparing all necessary help for victims, as well as sending the health minister, Oleg Salagy, to the scene.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
- Bob the Builder's UK No.1 singles lasted longer than Liz Truss' mini budget disaster
- Couple 'broke down in tears' at £450k 'dream home' finding nightmare list of problems
- Naked woman, 33, arrested by cops for going on evening walk with her two naked kids
- Just one third of Brits back striking Russia with nukes if warmonger Putin uses his
- Putin's nukes could wipe out 5bn people and block out Sun for years, expert warns
Source: Read Full Article