Man downed eight pints before throwing baby into air and landing on its head

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A man downed eight pints before throwing a baby into the air – leading it to land on its head and suffer a haemorrhage.

Ryan Marsh admitted causing serious injuries to the child following the booze-fuelled incident.

A court heard Marsh, 24, was under the influence of alcohol at the time.

Rachael Dodsworth, prosecuting, told the court how he threw the baby upwards in the air and dropped them, reports TeesideLive.

She said the baby fell on its head and was left with "significant and considerable" injuries.

The child was taken to James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough with head bruises.

A scan revealed that the child had suffered a substantial haemorrhage.

She said he admitted shaking the baby and throwing water in their face to revive them, after finding them floppy.

Ms Dodsworth said there was no indication given of how the injuries had been sustained by the baby.

She told magistrates: "The crown could say this could be adjourned to the crown court for sentence."

Marsh, of Brockrigg Court, Guisborough, appeared in court dressed in jeans and a Tommy Hilfiger top and jacket.

  • Boris Johnson holding 5pm press conference amid variant fears

He pleaded guilty to assaulting / neglecting /abandoning a child / young person to cause unnecessary suffering / injury.

The court heard how the incident happened in Middlesbrough last year.

Neil Douglas, defending, told magistrates that Marsh was of previous good character and had entered an immediate guilty plea.

He said that Marsh had consumed about eight pints in the pub before he "unfortunately dropped the child".

Mr Douglas said that he hadn't "appreciated the circumstances immediately", but it was him who called the ambulance.

Chair of the bench Heather Goodwill sent Marsh's case to Teesside Crown Court for sentencing.

She told Marsh: "This matter can be dealt with by the crown court. So your next appearance will be over at the crown court building."

Marsh was granted unconditional bail until he is sentenced.

A date for the hearing is yet to be fixed.

  • Courts

Source: Read Full Article