Mum-of-three found dead at Pontins with bottle of wine next to her as sons slept

A mum-of-three was found dead by her partner in her Pontins chalet with a bottle of wine next to her as her two sons slept nearby.

Robert Holmes found Sioned Catherine Evans on the toilet after a night of heavy drinking.

He went to put her to bed but noticed that she was cold.

He desperately cried out for his mum who had been called to the holiday park in Prestatyn by police just hours before because Robert and Sioned were both drunk.

An inquest into Miss Evans' death at Ruthin County Hall heard this week how not long after dropping the family off, Robert's mum, Sheila Holmes was contacted by an officer at 1am asking her to attend the resort after reports the couple were intoxicated.

Sheila said she decided to stay to look after the children and had a "stern conversation" with Sioned, who struggled with alcohol issues since losing her licence due to drink-driving.

Sheila said she had previously "pleaded" with the 33-year-old of Trem Eryri, Menai Bridge, not to drink, and said the catering assistant had told her she'd been looking forward to the weekend away with her boys on August 31 last year.

Robert had described her as being "in good spirits" and said in a statement they had been "laughing together" that day.

But just hours later, Sheila was awoken by her son shouting: "F*****g hell Sioned," and alerted his mum to his discovery of his partner on the toilet with an empty bottle of wine beside her.

Assuming she was asleep, Robert lifted her and put her on the bed when he noticed she was cold.

Sheila discovered that Sioned was a "funny colour" and was not breathing and she couldn't feel a pulse.

She called 999 while Robert carried out CPR but Sioned was pronounced dead at the scene at around 7.30am.

  • Couple flee Pontins after 10 minutes over 'absolutely filthy' accommodation

Police were called and carried out investigations before concluding that there were no suspicious circumstances.

A post-mortem examination revealed the level of alcohol in Sioned's system was over four times over the legal drink drive limit at 393 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, the legal limit being 80.

Pathologist Dr Mared Owen-Casey recorded a cause of death as acute alcohol toxicity.

The hearing was told that Sioned had been referred to the drug and alcohol misuse service after twice being taken to A&E by ambulance in the weeks before her death when she was found collapsed in the street drunk by passersby.

She told medics that she struggled with depression and anxiety and drank a bottle of wine and four cans of cider every night to the point of "almost daily blackouts."

But Sioned never contacted the drug and alcohol misuse service to get help for her issues and so the referral was closed.

In a statement read out at the inquest, Sioned's uncle Colin Tate remembered her as someone who "always approached everyone with a smile."

He said she used to look after his mother, her grandmother, and that the family miss her.

Recording a conclusion that Sioned's death was alcohol related, coroner for North Wales east and central, John Gittins said: "The circumstances in this case are incredibly tragic – even more so for those she leaves behind."

He said in many ways it was a "preventative death" had Sioned managed to take up the referral and seek help.

But the coroner added that he was not there to judge and understood what a difficult prospect that may be for some people.

He added: "But it reinforces the dangers of what some people might consider to be a reasonably safe level of drinking.”.

Mr Gittins said the consequences can be "life-changing for those left behind."

Close friends of the couple spoke of their devastation and sent love and thoughts to their children, Aaron, Jack and Connor.

One said: "Such sad news. How much more does this poor family have to suffer? Absolutely heartbreaking. Sending all my love and thoughts to you all."

After Sioned's death the community rallied around and raised £4,500 to help her family pay for her funeral.

Source: Read Full Article