Nando's is to slam shut all of its restaurants across the UK over the coronavirus crisis.
The popular chain made the announcement on Twitter and said it was the "best course of action".
It comes after Prime Minister Boris Johnson demanded the closure of restaurants, pubs, clubs, gyms and theatres.
A Nando's spokesperson wrote in the tweet: "The health and safety of our customers and team is our highest priority.
"We have decided that the best course of action right now is to temporarily close our restaurants until further notice.
"We will keep you updated on our channels. We'll see you soon."
It comes after other food outlets including McDonald's and Starbucks also shut their doors.
Fast food giant McDonald's said all of its restaurants would be closed by 7pm today.
Chief Executive Officer Paul Pomroy said it would distribute food to "those in needs", with emergency workers in line for free meals and drinks.
In a statement he said: "Over the last 24 hours, it has become clear that maintaining safe social distancing while operating busy takeaway and Drive Thru restaurants is increasingly difficult and therefore we have taken the decision to close every restaurant in the UK and Ireland by 7pm on Monday 23rd March at the latest.
Piers Morgan slams 'disgusting little pr**k' for sick coronavirus stunt
"We will be working closely with community groups across the UK and Ireland to distribute food from our restaurants to those most in need, and ahead of closing tomorrow evening, will ensure frontline health workers and emergency services personnel do not have to pay for any food or drink in our restaurants on sight of their work pass.
"But I have been clear throughout this that we would only continue to operate whilst it was safe for our people and together with our franchisees, we feel now is the time to make this decision to temporarily close. I want to thank every single one of our 135,000 employees.
"I am so proud of them all for adapting so quickly to a constantly evolving work environment, taking every step to keep our customers, couriers and teams safe and looking after each other so very well.
GP's coronavirus advice answers questions on how to stay safe during outbreak
"We will continue to update you thorough our website, social media channels and email alerts in the coming weeks but in the meantime we thank you for your continued support and custom."
On Sunday, the UK death toll reached 281 with an 18-year-old understood to be the youngest victim so far.
- Boris Johnson
- Piers Morgan
- The Chase
Source: Read Full Article