A landlord has been banned from renting out a five-bedroomed house, and told they could face an “unlimited” fine, after inspectors found that it had holes in its ceilings, mould on the walls, and was infested with rats.
The tenants of the property in Elswick, Tyne and Wear- a couple with nine children – had to be moved out and placed in emergency accommodation by the council.
Council inspectors found that the house had defective double glazing, missing banisters on the staircase which could cause trips and falls, leaking pipework, holes in the ceiling, damp, mould, insecure front and back doors as well as no hot water supply in the kitchen and no smoke detector in the ground floor hallway.
As if that wasn't bad enough, reports Chronicle Live. the investigators found that rats had also gnawed their way through electrical cabling making the electricity supply unsafe and knocking out the heating system leaving the family with no heating or hot water.
The tenants were left with no option but to turn to the council after the landlord failed to respond to their requests to deal with the "serious disrepair and infestation".
For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
When the landlord failed to comply with requests by the council to carry out the repairs, the authority served him the prohibition order under the Housing Act 2004.
The property must now be refurbished to the council's standards before it will even consider lifting the order and allowing the property to be rented out again.
The landlord could now face a court case and would be subject to an unlimited fine if he failed to comply with the order.
Local councillor Linda Hobson, said: “This is a shocking example of a landlord failing to fulfil his legal obligations. My heart goes out to the family who lived there and endured appalling living conditions.
“Thankfully they are now in accommodation that is clean, warm, and safe – not a lot to ask for in the 21st century it would seem, however, some landlords are failing in their duty of care to provide anything like decent living conditions.
“In Newcastle we are determined to raise standards in the private rented sector – a growing and increasingly important part of the housing market.
Source: Read Full Article