Urgent fire warning after house burns down in blaze ‘sparked by mirror on wall’

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

An urgent warning has been issued after a fire ripped through a house, caused by sunlight reflecting from a mirror.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service issued the stark warning along with a photograph which reveals the damage caused when reflected sunlight ignited combustible materials nearby.

The department recently tackled two serious blazes less than a week apart from each other, which were caused by incoming sunlight.

Luckily no one was injured in the infernos, which caused extensive damage, but one of the homes was left uninhabitable.

Both were caused by the sun's rays being magnified by glass and igniting “combustible materials” and occurred at similar times of day, between 2pm and 2.30pm.

Pat Carey, whose house in Liverpool was destroyed by one of the blazes, told local media: "I loved that house, I worked so hard to make it a home and get all the furniture. It's more the memories I have lost and the pictures."

Group manager Mark Thomas said: "Thankfully no one has been seriously injured as a result of these fires, but the damage caused will no doubt have a lasting impact on those involved.

"Low sun at this time of year and direct sunlight on mirrors can cause serious problems.

"Even during cold spells, the sun's rays can be very strong and come in at a low angle."

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here.

Mr Thomas urged people to check their homes to see if they have “magnifying mirrors or other items such as glass ornaments or paperweights”.

He added: "Please make sure they are kept out of direct sunlight or where the sun can reflect from them on to other items.

"Never leave shaving or vanity mirrors on windowsills – this is a recipe for disaster.

"It's also really important to keep aerosols or any other flammable items out of direct sunlight too."

  • Fire

Source: Read Full Article