A Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported from the United States at the age of 95.
Friedrich Karl Berger, who lived in Tennessee, was a guard at a Neuengamme sub-camp near Meppen in Germany during the Holocaust, a 2020 trial revealed.
Authorities announced on Friday that Berger had been deported back to Germany.
He is the 70th Nazi persecutor to be removed from the US and the Justice Department said he was deported "for participating in Nazi-sponsored acts of persecution" at a concentration camp in 1945, reports CBS News.
Acting Attorney General Monty Wilkinson said in a statement that Berger’s removal shows the department’s "commitment to ensuring that the United States is not a safe haven for those who have participated in Nazi crimes against humanity and other human rights abuses."
He added: "In this year in which we mark the 75th anniversary of the Nuremberg convictions this case shows that the passage even of many decades will not deter the Department from pursuing justice on behalf of the victims of Nazi crimes."
The prisoners at the camp were held there during the winter of 1945, with many of them Jewish, Polish, Russian and Dutch.
Adolf Hitler's toilet seat set to sell for £15k at auction after years in soldier's home
The Department of Justice claimed they were forced to work outdoors “to the point of exhaustion and death”, with the judge of the trial citing the conditions as “atrocious”.
The day the camp was evacuated, there were 1,773 imprisoned according to the Foundation of Hamburg Memorials and Learning Centres.
While in the camp, the victims were made to build a friesenwall to protect the northern coast of Germany.
Source: Read Full Article