Woman becomes trapped in 32ft ditch after going clubbing without her phone

A woman who went missing for more than 36 hours was rescued after she was discovered at the bottom of a 32ft (10m) ditch.

Maria Cristina Simoes Ferreira e Penha slipped and fell between a steep slope and a construction site moments from her home in Cachoeiro de Itapemirim, in southeast Brazil, on the evening of May 26.

Maria, 22, was eventually discovered after a neighbour heard her crying for help and dialled for emergency services on Sunday (May 28).

READ MORE: Killer cop 'Moose' murdered his mistress for insulting his penis size during row

Skilled firefighters embarked on a two-hour rescue effort to release the young woman from the ditch, and she was eventually carried out on a stretcher before being taken to hospital where she was treated for injuries.

A clip taken at the scene shows the firefighters lowering a metal ladder before entering the ditch where the young woman was trapped.

Maria's family first began to worry about her after she failed to return home on the evening of May 26.

She had left the house without money or her mobile phone.

Her father, Carlos Onofre, told local media: "She went out and sat near a club. But she slipped and fell in this ditch."

  • Jaw-dropping UK castle built in 1820 could be yours for just £30k – but there's a catch

The ditch was just a stone's throw from the home where Maria lives with her family and is surrounded by a house under construction and several over plots of land, as well as some shrubland.

Rescuers had to break down part of the wall of the house under construction using sledgehammers and a grinding machine to make sure Maria was rescued safely.

A spokesperson for the fire department said: "A ladder was used and a descent of approximately 10 metres (32 feet) was performed, where contact was made with the victim, who was conscious, but scared.

"The fire crews, for safer access to the victim and those involved, decided to open access in the wall.

"After a lot of work and extreme care, the victim was reached and safely removed."

Maria was eventually brought to safety and checked over by the Mobile Emergency Care Service (Samu) for minor injuries.

She was later transferred to a local hospital, where she remains.

Dad Carlos said: "I have a lot of faith, you know! I had asked God to bring my daughter back the way she was and God's will be done. I am very grateful to God that she is alive and well."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.


  • Mysterious jelly-like 'aliens' that 'create clones of themselves' wash up on beach

  • New mum almost dies after contracting super-rare and deadly flesh-eating disease

  • Art lovers spot 'iPhone' in 1882 painting sparking wild time travel theory

  • Illegal Bank Holiday rave sees 1,500 revellers descend on castle for day-long party

Source: Read Full Article