A 36-year-old woman was brutally beaten following a date with a man she met online and abandoned in the street after being dragged from a car.
The victim, who has asked to remain nameless, went to hospital with serious facial injuries after being repeatedly punched in Salford.
She has since slammed Greater Manchester Police and is "dismayed" that they haven't taken action six weeks on, despite her giving them the name and details of the suspect, reports the Manchester Evening News.
A GMP chief has now apologised for delays in investigating the case and said a senior officer would be contacting the victim after she made a formal complaint.
Describing the night of September 17, the victim said: "The evening was fine. I had a few drinks and he had a couple.
"We left the place and went off walking to his car. He said he couldn't find it. We must have spent 15 minutes looking for it. I had a bit of a go at him saying: 'How can you not know where you have put your car?'"
When they eventually found the car, the victim says that after a short drive he became aggressive and told her to get out.
She said: "He stopped the car, and was trying to grab hold of my legs. He then grabbed my hair. I came out of the car and said: 'What the f**k do you think you are doing?'
"He then punched me a couple of times in the face. He hit me again when I was on the ground. He then drove off."
She was abandoned at 2.50am and managed to call a friend for help.
The victim said: "I'm embarrassed. I should have known better than to jump in a car with a man I don't know."
A week after the attack the victim says the alleged culprit rang her up.
She said: "He asked if I was okay. He said his actions were self-defence. I said: 'What? You dragged me out of of the car in the middle of the night.'
"He claimed he had never laid a finger on anyone. I told him he would be hearing from the police."
She was later told by a friend that the same man had since been online chatting up another woman.
The victim went to her parents' house in Yorkshire to recover and consequently gave her initial statement to South Yorkshire Police.
She said: "I later checked and found out that GMP had received that phone interview on September 23. Since then nothing has happened.
"It was soul-destroying. I was prepared to let it go in the end because I was sick and tired of the police not doing anything. I lost all faith in them."
She made the formal complaint to GMP earlier this month.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Chief Superintendent Shaun Donnellan, of GMP's Salford division, described the assault as "absolutely horrific" and "not something that anyone should have to be subject to".
He continued: "In the process of transferring the crime back to GMP, delays were experienced which we sincerely apologise for.
"I would like to make it clear that we do not take reports of this nature lightly, and a senior officer will be in touch with the victim today."
Source: Read Full Article