Woman who organised illegal rave with 200 guests admits it ‘got out of hand’

The organiser of an illegal lockdown rave that saw hundreds pack inside a gazebo claims the gathering just “got out of hand”.

Hundreds of revellers were found by cops at the illegal party in Gorton, Manchester, on Saturday night.

And police even had to call for backup when they were pelted with missiles as they tried close it down.

Charlene Proham, 27, was slapped with a £100 fine after officers identified her as the organiser of the bash on Saturday night.

And Proham was hauled in front of a district judge where she was given a closure order stopping anybody visiting her property for three months.

She was warned if she were to breach that order, she could be sent to prison.

Speaking after her court appearance, the 27-year-old told the Manchester Evening News that she only invited 20 people.

She said: "Over a hundred people showed up at the house, some that I didn't even know. My house is trashed and things got taken.

"The police came and said we had an hour to close the party down. They said people were throwing missiles but they weren't.

"Police came back after an hour and by that point, the party was all wrapped up."

During the hearing at Manchester Magistrates Court, an order was made on behalf of Greater Manchester Police that the premises be subjected to a closure order.

This means nobody except the occupant is allowed inside the property.

  • Manchester city centre on lockdown after body found by police

When asked if she had any issue with that, Proham told the court: "I look after my mum who has dementia, she lives in Hulme."

District Judge Mark Hadfield said: "You can go and visit her, rather than making her come all that way to your home address in Gorton."

Footage shared on social media showed revellers packed together despite rules on social distancing being in place.

Proham’s rave was one of two closed down by Greater Manchester Police over the weekend.

Deputy Chief Constable Ian Pilling said they were investigating videos of the party.

  • Pizza Express to close 73 UK restaurants with 1,100 jobs affected

He said: "Quite frankly, it is beyond comprehension and I am incredibly disappointed that people feel they can gather in this way – blatantly flouting the rules.

"I can honestly say that in 30 years of policing I have never seen anything quite as outrageous as this behaviour. It is appalling."

And Judge Hadfield agreed to the police’s application, telling the organiser: "As a result of a gathering on August 15, serious nuisance was caused to members of the public including your neighbours, as well as serious disorder as there was an incident outside, adjacent to your property so I find there are grounds for making that order.

"I make the order against you. I have no reason to punish you at all and hope there will be no further problems of this nature, if you happen to breach this order, this will put yourself in a very serious position where you could be sent to prison for breaching the order."

  • WHO warns coronavirus is being spread unknowingly by people in certain age group

Speaking to MEN from her home afterwards, Proham said: "It's difficult as now I can't have anyone in my house for three months but I'll just have to go and visit my family at their house.

"I don't think it's fair that I have been fined when you see parties like this happening all the time.

"But obviously it was my house and I do take responsibility for that."

Nigel Murphy, deputy leader of Manchester City Council, welcomed the "tough action" by the court and said: "This was a particularly flagrant breach of Covid-19 restrictions, which are in place to protect everyone in our communities and must be respected.

"Public health must be our first priority and selfish breaches of the rules will not be tolerated."

Lockdown restrictions on social gatherings remain in Greater Manchester and some parts of northern England as it tries to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Source: Read Full Article