Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter
We have more newsletters
A woman has lost her leg after being hit by a horrific infection she caught from standing on thorns.
Brazilian woman Gabriela Mello Mendes, 29, ended up needing her lower leg amputated after bacteria entered her wounds and ate away at her flesh and bones.
The infection took over after she trod on tiny thorns leading to her having her lower leg amputated last month following a five-year-long ordeal.
READ MORE: Bloke wakes up from near-death coma to discover he's suddenly an incredible artist
The company administrator from Uba, Minas Gerais State, Brazil was enjoying a barefoot walk in a rural area with friends when she felt a sharp pain in both feet.
She told local media: "To this day I don't know exactly what I stepped on."
"Both my feet were left injured, I used a lot of alcohol and ointment, but the thorns were very small, you couldn't see them.
"A few days later I began to feel pain in my legs, my knees swelled up."
In December 2017, Gabriela went to see an orthopaedist and later a rheumatologist where it was confirmed she had developed an infection.
She was sent home with a course of antibiotics and told the pain would pass.
However, less than a month later she took a turn for the worst as her temperature soared and red spots broke out on her hands.
She returned to the hospital where she had a transoesophageal echocardiogram to check her heart and was hit with more bad news.
Medics discovered she had a vegetation on her heart valve and she was rushed to intensive care and placed in an induced coma.
She was given a porcine heart valve replacement in a life-saving operation.
To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.
Following the op, she suffered two heart attacks and while medics managed to revive her, her other organs began to collapse due to sepsis.
Thanks to a blood transfusion, her condition began to improve and she was finally able to leave the ICU in mid-February.
She told local media: "I lost a lot of weight, I was left with bedsores all over my body, even on my head. I still have the marks today.
"I had to relearn how to walk and breathe, I was fed via a tube for more than 30 days."
"While I was recovering, however, my left foot began to necrotise. The tips of my toes and my heel."
Gabriela was discharged from the hospital to avoid developing a new bacterial infection but continued visiting regularly for treatment.
She underwent surgery in April to remove the necrosis and her toes improved, but the wound on her heel failed to close.
She told local media: "The years went by, I was treated, but my heel failed to improve and only recently did I discover that I had osteomyelitis, an infection in the leg bone.
Brit tourist 'starved and beaten' at Dubai police station died of 'neglect'
"That was when medics decided to amputate part of my leg."
Gabriela underwent the op on September 14.
She had spent the past four years changing bandages every day, showering with a plastic bag on her foot, unable to step on it, and unable to go to the beach or for walks in the countryside, so it was no surprise that she described the removal of the limb as a "great relief".
Gabriela spent the next 20 days struggling with pain caused by phantom limb syndrome.
She told local media: "I had never felt such severe pain before in my life. But as time went by it went away and now I'm really relieved to have had the amputation."
Starving Russian soldiers 'eating zoo animals to stay alive' on Ukraine frontline
UK issues urgent warning as killer virus sees soaring number of kids in hospital
Russian ambassador claims 'proof' UK special forces involved in Black Sea fleet attack
China constructing 26-storey 'pig hotels' with aircon as demand for pork booms
- Health issues
Source: Read Full Article