Man dies after setting himself on fire outside McDonalds as staff given support

A bloke has died after setting himself ablaze outside of a McDonalds in the UK.

Emergency services were called to the McDonald’s in Merseyside at around 5.50 am on October 26. It followed reports of concern for his safety.

Merseyside Police and fire crews responded to the incident on Queens Drive, Walton. They found a 49-year-old man with serious burns.

READ MORE: Dad and son killer ordered out of campervan at gun point in explosive bodycam footage

Eyewitnesses speaking to the Echo claimed that the man 'set himself on fire'. He was rushed to hospital in a critical condition but sadly died from his injuries on October 27.

For more of the latest news, click here

The force confirmed that the death is not being treated as suspicious, adding next of kin have been informed and the file has been passed to the coroner.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: “We can sadly confirm that a man has died following an incident on Queens Drive, in Walton on Thursday, October 26. At around 5.50am it was reported that a 49-year-old man needed urgent medical attention after sustaining burns injuries.

  • Killer went for a pint after 'brutal' murder telling landlord 'he liked to drink blood'

“He was taken to hospital in a critical condition and has today, Friday, October 27, sadly passed away. The death is not being treated as suspicious and next of kin have been informed. A file has been passed to the coroner.”

McDonald's spokesperson told MailOnline: “We are extremely sad to hear this news. We are offering ongoing support to our restaurant team at this difficult time."

In a previous statement, they said: “We can confirm that an incident occurred earlier this morning at our Queen's Drive restaurant. We are offering support to our restaurant team, and will assist the police in their enquiries."

  • Terrifying moment glass-bottomed walkway shatters plunging tourist 30ft to their death

The restaurant has now reopened, but previously a police cordon had been established around the scene. Investigators were seen speaking to McDonald's staff and taking photographs.

According to reports a second area had also been cordoned, around the car park for the drive though. A ‘scientific support unit' forensics van was parked nearby at the time.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service told the Echo: “[We] attended an incident on Queens Drive, Walton, on the morning of Thursday 26th October. Crews were alerted at 5.34 am and one fire engine was on the scene to assist Merseyside Police at 5.40 am. We left the scene at 06.49 am.”

A spokesperson for the North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust confirmed mercy crews attended the incident yesterday, adding: “We took a man to hospital with serious injuries.”

For emotional support, you can call the Samaritans 24-hour helpline on 116 123, [email protected], visit a Samaritans branch in person or go to the Samaritans website.

Keep up to date with all the latest news stories. By signing up for one of Daily Star's free newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article